Cuyuna Range Women’s Club first meeting of the year
CROSBY — The Cuyuna Range Women’s Club will meet at 1 p.m. Sept. 10 in the meeting room of the Jessie F. Hallett Memorial LIbrary in Crosby. This is the first meeting of the 2012-2013 year. The Women’s Club has been a vital part of Crosby’s history for 96 years. The club was formed in 1916 by 26 women who saw the need for such an organization. It was first called “The Mother’s Club” and was very active in supporting local activities, families and servicemen in the teens, 20s and 30s. A simple motto — Service — was adopted at that time and is still the main focus of the organization. All Cuyuna Range women are invited to attend the meeting and encouraged to join the Women’s Club. The dues are still only $5.
The program, entitled “Project Revive — The Crosby Main Street Plaza,” will be given by Michelle LeMieur and Johnna Johnson. Both women have been working on the plans to revive and change a prominent Crosby corner lot from an eyesore into an attractive and useful green space with picnic tables, a water fountain, grass and plantings. In order to attract the mountain bike riders coming into the area, there will be bike racks and a bike washing station. There will also be a mural on the large building wall picturing the history of our area and looking toward the future.
Those attending the meeting will learn where the ideas came from to make these changes, who has been working out the plans, how it will be paid for and when it will be accomplished.
Following the program, there will be a short business meeting led by president Myrna Nelson. Marcia Horak will provide musical entertainment with her accordion playing. Refreshments will be served by the committee consisting of Sally Mann, Diane Siefker and Nancy Petroske.