Citizens interested in commenting on permanent state rules designed to provide fishing tournament organizers with a clear set of guidelines can view the proposed rules on the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) website by selecting "Fishing Contest Regs" at www.mndnr.gov/input/rules.
Tournament policies have developed piecemeal over time. The DNR has been working with tournament organizers and recent law changes to develop a clear set of rules governing fishing tournaments. These rules will provide clear guidance to tournament organizers.
The new rules would:
• Detail conditions for issuing contest permits.
• List the criteria used to establish permit conditions.
• Restrict contests using live release formats when targeting sturgeon, muskellunge, trout and salmon.
• Limit live release contests targeting walleye during summer.
• Limit contests using off-site weigh-in formats.
• Grant permit holders the authority to possess, transport and distribute contest fish to nonprofit or charitable organizations, streamlining the gifting process for contest organizers.
• Manage contest use of state-owned access sites to accommodate contest participants but also assure public use.
Comments must be submitted by Friday, Aug. 24, to Linda Erickson-Eastwood, DNR Fisheries, 500 Lafayette Road, Box 20, St. Paul, MN 55155-4020. Comments also may be emailed to email@example.com.