House saves itself from fire | BrainerdDispatch.com | Brainerd, Minnesota

House saves itself from fire

Posted: June 15, 2012 - 6:54pm

MOTLEY — A home located in Poplar Township should have been fully engulfed in flames Friday when firefighters arrived.

However, that was not the case.

Pequot Lakes Fire Chief Tom Nelson said the fire department received a call of a structure fire at 11:20 a.m. at 7178 79th Avenue Southwest, Motley — about 25 miles away from the fire hall. The home, owned by Julie Granby, is in the department’s coverage area, Nelson said.

Nelson said Granby had put some laundry in the washer, took a walk and when she returned the house was full of smoke. Fortunately, the fire was extinguished by flooding that was caused by the home’s copper water lines. Nelson said the heat from the fire melted one of the joints on the copper pipes. It flooded the laundry area and put out most of the fire.

“When our first crew arrived, the fire was almost out,” said Nelson. “If that didn’t happen (the flooding) the home most likely would have been lost.”

Nelson said the cause of the fire was not from the washer or the dryer. The fire appeared to have started between the two machines, the fire chief said.

“We’re not sure what the cause is yet,” said Nelson.

There were 10 Pequot Lakes firefighters on scene, as well as seven firefighters from the Pine River Fire Department.

JENNIFER STOCKINGER may be reached at jennifer.stockinger@brainerddispatch.com or 855-5851. Follow me on Twitter at www.twitter.com/jennewsgirl.