What is your vision of the city of Brainerd in the next 10 years? What opportunities do you see for the city of Brainerd to become the city you envision?
The city of Brainerd wants to know.
The Citizen Survey, available to the public beginning Monday through June 30, 2012, asks community members just that, with the intent of better understanding just how citizens of Brainerd feel about their town.
“We would like to get feedback from citizens about what they think about our city’s future,” said Brainerd City Planner Mark Ostgarden. “And we have a series of open-ended questions (on our Citizen Survey) that will hopefully help us with that information.”
Citizens of Brainerd will be asked to answer the following questions on the survey:
• What is your vision of the city of Brainerd in the next 10 years? Some of the areas to consider are transportation, housing, land use/development and arts/culture. List as many ideas as you would like.
• What do you like about the city of Brainerd? List as many as you would like.
• What would you like to change or improve about the city of Brainerd? List as many as you would like.
• What opportunities do you see for the city of Brainerd to become the city you envision in 10 years? List as many as you would like.
• What threats do you see that will prevent the city of Brainerd from becoming the city you envision in 10 years? List as many as you would like.
• In what part of the city do you live?
According to Ostgarden this attempt at citizen feedback by way of a survey is the first of its kind in Brainerd.
“We haven’t sought out any commentary feedback since I’ve been here in 2005,” Ostgarden said. “So it’s been awhile since we have done anything even close to something like this that I am aware of.”
Both digital and paper copies will be made available to the public, with a digital version and submission found on the city’s website at www.ci.brainerd.mn.us. Paper copies can be picked up at the Brainerd Public Library, senior center or city hall and submitted in the survey drop boxes at each site. Submissions can also be mailed in to the City Planning Department, 501 Laurel St., Brainerd, MN 56401.
Ostgarden said any citizens with questions regarding the survey can contact the Brainerd City Planning Department at 829-2309.