Brainerd lakes area teens are getting their first shot of having the opportunity of being crowned Miss Minnesota Teen.
The Miss Brainerd Lakes and Miss Baxter Scholarship Pageant is hosting a Miss Brainerd Lakes’ Outstanding Teen and Miss Baxter’s Outstanding Teen for the first time. The pageant will be at 3 p.m. Sunday at Tornstrom Auditorium in Brainerd. Tickets are $10.
Sixteen teen girls, ages 13-17, who lives in the Brainerd lakes area will be competing for the Brainerd and Baxter titles.
“This is very exciting,” said Vicki Randall, director of the Miss Brainerd Lakes and Miss Baxter Scholarship Pageant. “The Brainerd area has produced so many girls who have gone on to compete for Miss Minnesota ... We hope to do the same in the teen pageant.”
Randall said the pageant theme is “Going GaGa (as in Lady GaGa) For Brainerd and Baxter Outstanding Teen” and it is sponsored by the Brainerd School District Community Education and Holiday Inn Express in Baxter.
Special guests will be Miss Brainerd Rebecca Yeh and Miss Baxter Haley VanSteenwyk who will perform at the pageant.
Randall said the pageant will result in crowning a Miss Brainerd Lakes’ Outstanding Teen and a Miss Baxter’s Outstanding Teen. Randall said the top two scorers will win the titles and represent the area March 31 at the Miss Minnesota Teen Pageant at Eden Prairie High School.
Randall said the areas of the competition include the teens modeling evening gowns and in lifestyle and fitness active wear, not swim suits. They will be judged on their talent, on stage question and their private interview.
The following are the contestants who’ll compete Sunday:
• Savannah Cole, the daughter of Rick and Deb Cole, will be singing “Don’t Rain on My Parade, and her platform is “Expand Your Horizon, Join 4-H.” Cole is sponsored by Dale Carnegie Training.
• Sarah Fairbanks, the daughter of Mike and Lynn Fairbanks, will perform a flute solo of “You Raise Me Up” and her platform is “Serve to Learn, Learn to Serve.” Fairbanks is sponsored by Nisswa Carlson Hardware, Lake Country Dental and House of George Upholstery.
• Mariah Fitch, the daughter of Tina Perrin, will perform a kick dance to “We Found Love” and her platform is “Fighting Back when MS Attacks, Multiple Sclerosis.” Fitch is sponsored by A-Affordable Bail Bonds.
• Wilhelmina Gerdes, the daughter of Angie and Dewayne Gerdes, will sing and her platform is “Peer Pressure, Just Say No.” Gerdes is sponsored by Connie’s Kitchen.
• Savannah Goose, the daughter of Gloria and Jesse Hoheisel and Roger and Michelle Maleski, will sing and her platform is “Helping the Homeless.” Goose is sponsored by Head to Toe Beauty Supply.
• Katie Kleindl, the daughter of Ann and Mike Kleindl, will perform a B flat clarinet piece and her platform is “Keeping Music within the Schools. Kleindl is sponsored by Lakes Country Dental, Highway 18 Collision and In Motion Physical Therapy.
• Sierra Kramer, the daughter of Seth and Melissa Kramer, will perform a piece on her violin and her platform is “Improving Teen Self-Esteem. Kramer is sponsored by Century 21 and Napa Auto Parts.
• Maggie Nelson-Bretz, the daughter of Sarah and Frank Poscher, will create an abstract painting and her platform is GSA, Gay, Straight Alliance.
•Serena Schreifels, the daughter of Troy and Julie Schreifels, with her musical theater vocals will perform “Someday” and her platform is “Bring Back the Sunshine: Depressed and Troubled Teens. Schreifels is sponsored by Paul Henningson Dentist and Kingsley Music School.
• Rebecca Schreurs, the daughter of Michelle Schreurs, will perform a flute solo and her platform is “Responsibility Matters.” Schreurs is sponsored by Play and Trade and Party World.
• Kaelyn Spencer, the daughter of Clarence and Kimberly Spencer, will perform a marimba solo of “Sonatina” and her platform is “4-H Fun for Everyone. Spencer is sponsored by Clow Stamping Company.
• Sara Stockard, the daughter of Kristin and Steve Gangestad, Andy and Denise Stockard, will sing “Only Hope” and her platform is “Locks of Love.” Stockard is sponsored by Lakes Financial Services, Thelen Heating and Roofing and Mid Minnesota Federal Credit Union.
• Lizzy Thurlow, the daughter of Mimi Thurlow, will perform a flute piece and her platform is “Finding Guidance Through Bonds: Kinship Partners.” Thurlow is sponsored by Cascade Med Spa.
• Jocelyn Tsinnie, the daughter of Michelle Kliensasser, will sing and her platform is “Devotion and Dedication for a Good Education. Tsinnie is sponsored by Awards by Northstar.
• Bailey Wachholz, the daughter of Duane and Pam Wachholz, will do a rendition of “Valse Dramatico” and her platform in “Remember Me: Alzheimer’s Through the Eyes of a Child.” Wachholz is sponsored by Rebecca’s Dolls and Miniatures.
• Molly West, the daughter of Deb and Steve West, will perform a jazz dance and her platform is “B is for bullying.” West is sponsored by Thelen Heating and Roofing.
JENNIFER STOCKINGER may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 855-5851.