More than 300 people in the Brainerd lakes area recently participated in Fitness United, the community health and wellness eight-week challenge hosted by United Way of Crow Wing and Southern Cass Counties in cooperation with Kinship Partners.
The program aims to help children and adults develop healthier lifestyles through education, nutrition, and fitness.
Participants worked toward earning awards by learning, exercising, eating well and losing weight. Participants had free use of facilities at designated local fitness clubs, were able to attend free classes and received discounts on various fun activities. Children were able to enroll in the program free of charge to win awards by tracking their health and wellness activities in weekly fitness logs.
Winner in the youth category for most points earned was Misato Marcum. He won a gift certificate for snowshoe rental for five from Cycle Path & Paddle. There were 74 kids registered in the competition.
The winners in the competition for Top Pairs were:
• Thin Mints (Kelly Unzeitig and Kathy Jukish) took first place and won the gold medal award winning one night stay Jacuzzi suite at Hawthorn Inn.
• Go Stockingers! second place, silver medal award, dinner for two at Manhattan Beach Lodge.
• Team Grove House, third place, bronze medal award, two 30-minute massages at Salon Nouveau.
• The Narrow Weigh, fourth place.
• Team Pink, fifth place.
The winners in the competition for Top Teams were:
• K&K (Becky Nordeen, John Nordeen, Sheryl Larson, Ruth Beckrich and Lisa Sova)took first place and won the gold medal award and won a one night stay and dinner for two at Grand Casino Mille Lacs.
• Waisted Women of Today, second place, silver medal award, $50 gift cards to Iven’s on the Bay.
• Golden Plump Chicks, third place, bronze award, $25 gift cards to Crow Wing County Food Co-Op.
• Flabuless, fourth place.
• Eating Right is So Annoying, fifth place.
• Yes We Can! sixth place.
• Lettuce Be Thin, seventh place.
• Four Ever Fit, eighth place.
• Git’ er Done, ninth place.
• Captain Crunchers, 10th place.
Beth Cordes won a $10 Target gift card for the random drawing winner for a full participation card.
Sponsors of the United Way Fitness United challenge were Hallett Center of Crosby, Anytime Fitness, HealthSource Chiropractic, Brainerd Family YMCA, Snap Fitness, Sunlife Wellness, FitQuest Athletic Club, NRG Xpress, Lakes Printing, Heart & Hara Studio, Spirit Movement Dance, Grand Casino Mille Lacs, Iven’s on the Bay, Crow Wing Food Co-Op, Hawthorn Inn and Suites, Manhattan Beach Lodge, Salon Nouveau-Helen Parks, Cycle Path & Paddle, Brainerd Lakes Broadcasting.
Money raised from Fitness United is applied to local youth programs and activities that promote healthy lifestyles for children and instill in them healthy habits they will carry forward into adulthood. For grant application information on obtaining dollars raised from Fitness United, contact United Way at 829-2619.