• 5.4 million Americans are living with Alzheimer’s disease.
• One in eight older Americans has Alzheimer’s disease.
• Alzheimer’s disease is the sixth-leading cause of death in the United States and the only cause of death among the top 10 in the United States that cannot be prevented, cured or even slowed.
• More than 15 million Americans provide unpaid care valued at $210 billion for persons with Alzheimer’s and other dementias.
• Payments for care are estimated to be $200 billion in the United States in 2012.
• Alzheimer’s and other dementias will soar from $200 billion this year to a projected $1.1 trillion (in today’s dollars) by 2050. This dramatic rise includes a 500 percent increase in combined Medicare and Medicaid spending.
• There are more than 15 support groups throughout the northern Minnesota region, offer a safe and confidential place in which support, ideas and education are shared.
• A 24-hour Information Helpline, provides referrals and information to more than 400 callers monthly at 800-272-3900.
(Source: The Alzheimer’s Association is the world’s leading voluntary health organization in Alzheimer care, support and research. It’s mission is to eliminate Alzheimer’s disease through the advancement of research; to provide and enhance care and support for all affected; and to reduce the risk of dementia through the promotion of brain health.)